Monday 23 March 2009

Back in London! Visitors!


What an eventful week! I can't believe it has already come and gone...it really flew by. No time for classes.. Terri, Mom and Jessica come to London!!!! I had a blast playing tour guide and tourist...considering I held out on a lot of places until they came. One place being our first stop, which had to be the ever so famous Harrod's, as you can see in the background. What an insane store.. extremely easy to get lost in there. About 10 minutes of looking at clothing was more than enough. The food court was amazing..delicious gelato (which was the most I could afford) aside the $5,000 dessert platter.  No big deal.

Mom and Terri rented a little apartment in Notting Hill, which happens to be one of my personal favorite areas. You can see lots of interesting things there.. such as this..parked right outside their place. I'm all for the basket.
I guess they brought the good weather with them. Although, I must defend my city quickly and say that it does NOT rain like everyone said it would. Yes, it is gloomy every day but it hardly ever rains.. and if it does it's for like 30 seconds. Jussst so you know. However, this past week was pure sunshine with a temperature in the high 50's every day. Amaaaaazing. No complaints there. We really took advantage and walked everywhere including around St. James (above) and Green Park which are starting to bloom and are absolutely beautiful. The first day it was warm reminded me of Madison when it gets to be like 40 degrees after a long winter...everyone comes out of hibernation!
Jessica gets in, coming out of her Madison hibernation!

Classic phone booth pic.


Buckingham Palace
We also ventured to the National Gallery where we stopped by the Degas ballerinas and the Van Gogh Sunflowers painting, along with lots of their other works. Very cool.


Only  one week in London... so of courseee we had to hit Liverpool(do you know my family at all?!) It was such a cool little placed, fillllllled with Beatles history. We did the "Magical Mystery Tour" and were led by a tourguide who's cellphone background picture is a legit picture of him and Paul....as they are allegedly very good friends. (Sorry dad, I was going to try and steal the phone and get Paul's number but I got scared.) 

First stop: 
Along the tour we stopped by Ringo, John, and Paul's childhood homes. Then we stopped by the one and only:
Strawberry Fields. 
Next stop: the Cavern Club, where the Beatles made their first appearance there in 1961. Over the next two years they played there almost 300 times. It still functions as a rock club today.


cavrn.jpg

beatles_cavern.jpg

beatles_cavern1.jpg

very cool standing in a place with so much history..

                           

Back in London, we headed over to the tower of London, which is the castle-like thing above, where mom was really hoping to witness an execution (sorry, maybe next time?). Learned a lot about the torture that took place here...interesting.


We took everyone's advice and arrived at the changing of the guards an hour early to be able to see. There were hundreds of people there, and they do it every other day! Crazy, but very neat. More of a half-time band show then anything. The two guys below kept walking right up to the fence where we were standing, trying their hardest to keep a straight face aha. 
Over the course of the week, mom and terri decided they really wanted to take advantage of the reasonable show ticket prices. Sooo first we saw Spring Awakening which was truly unbelievable. The voices were incredible and the acting was amazing. Not going to lie.. I'm probably going to see it again before I leave! Next we saw Dirty Dancing...which...eh...if you feel like going to the play, you would be better off watching the movie. The acting was not so good.. but the dancing was very fun to watch. Last but certainly not least...Billy Elliot. Wow. Never in my life have I seen someone so talented..and at age 12. After 15 years of tapping.. I could neverrr match this kid. Not to mention his ballet skills. AND he could sing AND act. I'm pretty ssure my mouth was dropped in awe the entire show. Truly amazing. 

After lotss more sightseeing, tons of delicious meals, and getting a much-needed taste of home, all in all it was a really great week, and I am so happy they were able to come! So I guess now, it's time to head back to reality. Sort of...i'm leaving in about a week for my big two and a half week italy, spain, and france vacation!!! Before then..3 papers. 

xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment